Welcome to Ashtabula County. We are glad you have come to see and learn about our Historic Covered Bridges. They are of five types: Howe truss, Pratt truss, Town lattice truss, Burr Arch, and Inverted Haupt truss.
Each of the Covered Bridges may be seen via a driving tour. Please download a Tour Map and the Tour Facts
If you would like the tour map mailed to you please send a self addressed stamped #10 business envelope for each map request to the Covered Bridge Festival at 25 West Jefferson Street, Jefferson, OH 44047
View the Bridges on Google Maps
The bridge is constructed over Mill Creek in Jefferson Township, and it features a timber arch with inverted Haupt walls. The Neo Victorian design structure is 110 feet long, 22-feet wide, and 14-feet, six inches high. Construction started in 1998, and it was funded by an ODOT Timber Grant.
South Denmark Road
Built in 1890, this Town lattice bridge spans Mill Creek. The 81-foot structure was bypassed in 1975, but is easily accessible.
This first Pratt truss bridge in Ohio was built in 1986 in honor of Ashtabula County's 175th Anniversary. The 124-foot long bridge traverses the west branch of the Ashtabula River in Pierpont Twp.
The Graham Road Bridge, which was built from remnants of a bridge washed downstream in the 1913 flood, now sits in a small park on the south side of the road. The 97-foot Town Truss was over the west branch of the Ashtabula River in Pierpont Township.
A 114-foot Town lattice built in 1868, Root crosses the Ashtabula River. It was raised 18 inches during the rehabilitation in 1982/83, and new laminated girders and a center concrete pier were added.
This 136-foot Howe truss bridge was built in 1868 over Conneaut Creek, which is the longest river in eastern Ashtabula County. It was reconstructed in 1984 with the help of three volunteers and four college students.
Containing 97,000 feet of southern pine and oak, the State Road Bridge was erected in 1983 across Conneaut Creek. The 152-foot Town lattice span was the first covered bridge designed and built by County Engineer John Smolen, Jr. A four-foot tall window extends the length of the bridge showing the Town lattice construction. The dedication of the bridge in 1983 was the forerunner of the Covered Bridge Festival.
The construction date of this 125-foot Town lattice bridge is unknown. It sits 25 feet above the Conneaut Creek and was extensively renovated in 1994.
A 138-foot Town lattice with Arch bridge, Benetka was built about 1900 spanning the Ashtabula River. It was renovated in 1985. A laminated arch 9-inches wide and 38-inches thick was added to the length of the bridge.
Located on Dewey Road in Plymouth Township, Olin is the bridge named for a family. The Olin's have owned property next to the bridge since it was built in 1873. The 115 foot Town lattice structure over the Ashtabula River was renovated in 1985.
The longest covered bridge in the United States is of Pratt Truss construction. Engineering and structural design by John Smolen (former County Engineer) and architectural design by Timothy Martin (current County Engineer) the bridge was dedicated August 26, 2008. The bridge is 613 ft. long and stands 93 ft. above the Ashtabula River. With clear width of 30 ft. and height of 14 ft. 6 in. it will support full legal load traffic and has a life expectancy of 100 years.
The new pedestrian covered bridge is 150 feet long and 14 feet wide. It is of Pratt truss, like Smolen Gulf Bridge, and was designed by Smolen Engineering. It sits below Smolen Bridge in Indian Trails Park. It was dedicated on Oct 4th, 2016.
Pratt truss construction was used for this 107-foot bridge built in 1995 with funding from an ODOT Timber Grant. It crosses Mill Creek in Jefferson Twp.
A 94-foot long Town lattice bridge built in 1868. Doyle spans Mill Creek. Mill Creek is a tributary of the Grand River. This bridge was renovated in 1987 when a laminated arch was added.
Liberty Street Bridge is located on West Liberty Street just west of Rt. 534 in Geneva. It's 18' span carries traffic across Cowles Creek. Completed in 2011 it became known as Liberty Bridge and it is the shortest covered bridge open to traffic in the US. It was constructed by the A-Tech school who also constructed a small toll booth similar to what covered bridges had during pioneer days.
This two-span Howe truss bridge is 228-feet long, use to be the longest covered bridge in Ohio. It spans the Grand River, which is the primary drainage channel of western Ashtabula County. The bridge was built in 1868 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Located in the County Metro Park it is a great place to picnic. A flood in 1913 washed soil away from the north end of the bridge and changed the river channel. The steel bridge was then attached. A walkway was added in 1991-92 when the bridge was renovated.
The second longest single-span Covered Bridge in Ashtabula County, this 156 ft. Howe truss with arch was built over Grand River in 1867. The arch is 15 layers of 2 x 8 lumber encased by large beams which form the X's of the Howe truss. Believed to be the oldest of the County's covered bridges. This bridge was renovated in 2003-2004 and was once again opened to traffic in the spring of 2004.
This 114-foot Town lattice bridge sits high above the Grand River. It was built in 1874. The floor was rebuilt in 1981 and glue-laminated wood girders were added. Center steel bracing had been replaced under the bridge in 1945. The road at the east end of the bridge washed out in 1987, and a new concrete abutment was built for added support.
Located in a very picturesque area of the county, Windsor Mills Bridge spans Phelps Creek, a tributary of the Grand River. Built in 1867, the Town lattice sits atop cut stone abutments with unique center supports. One is of sandstone quarried nearby. The other, in contrast, is made from creek stone. Windsor Mills Bridge is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This bridge was renovated in 2002-2004 and was once again opened to traffic in the spring of 2004.